This sunflower cake truly is a little ray of sunshine!
This sunflower cake has to be the most cheerful cake ever. It’s like turning sunshine into food. Seriously! It’s so sweet and adorable, and if you can pipe a leaf, you can make this cake. Easy peasy!
My youngest absolutely loves sunflowers, and so does my niece. They are big, bright and kinda retro when you look at patterns and sunflower inspired things. Clothes, artworks, it’s almost like they have a 70’s vibe going on.
I baked a vanilla cake that I baked in three 8″ round pans for 25 minutes, and went with a simple vanilla buttercream. I added a touch of milk since it’s winter here, and I needed a nice piping consistency. You could definitely go for a fresh flavour like lemon, or even a coconut for this design. Anything goes really with a design like this. This design was inspired by a cake I saw on Layer Cake Parade. She’s got some really great looking recipes on there too that you should definitely check out.
I piped these flowers on the cake itself, which is different to other flower cakes, and it does take some getting used to, since you have to be careful not the smudge the cake. It does make decorating super fast though, and as you pipe each flower you can really see it come to life. Since I could only seem to find one leaf tip today, I ended up piping all the flowers in the palest yellow for the outside petals, and then waited until all that was done before cleaning the tip and moving on to the next shade. Of course, if you had three or even four leaf tips you could bust out this piping in a snap, but really, how many of us have that many of the same tip?
KEEP SCROLLING FOR A VIDEO OF THIS SUNFLOWER CAKE
I hope you guys try this design for yourself. It’s a beauty!
Sunflower Cake Materials
• Three 8″ round vanilla cakes (1 batch) baked at 170C for 22-25 minutes
• Sweet Buttercream with vanilla
– 1kg (2lb 2oz) Light green for the cake and filling layers (3 parts Sugarflair Eucalyptus 1 part Americolor Avocado and 1 part Americolor Mint Green)
– 250g (8.8oz) lightest shade of yellow for the outer petals (equal parts Americolor Egg Yellow and Americolor Lemon Yellow)
– 100g (3.5oz) medium shade of yellow for the middle row (equal parts Americolor Egg Yellow and Americolor Lemon Yellow)
– 75g (2.5oz) Darkest yellow for the inner petals 4 parts Americolor Egg Yellow 2 parts Americolor Lemon Yellow and 1 part Americolor Chocolate Brown)
– 100g (3.5oz) Brown for the flower centres (Americolor Chocolate Brown)
– 100g (3.5oz) darker green for the vines and leaves (equal parts Americolor Forest Green Americolor Avocado and 1 part Americolor Mint Green
• 5 Piping bags
• Piping tip – #352 – yellows and green #16 brown
• 8″ round cake plate
Leave a Reply