See how easy is it to make this stunning rose cake.
I sure do love making cakes and roses, and this time I’m supersizing it with this sculpted rose cake. It’s Ginormous, and I can tell you, it was delicious!
• Two 6″ round cakes – made using one batch of our vanilla cake recipe (see link below)
• 600g (1lb 5oz) Sweet buttercream (see link below)
• 1.2kg (3lb 10oz) Modelling chocolate (see recipe link below)
– 150g (5.3oz) Dark pink – 3 parts Wilton Rose and 2 parts Sugarflair Ruby
– 300g (10.5oz) Mid Pink – 3 parts Wilton Rose and 2 parts Sugarflair Ruby
– 600g (1lb 5oz) Light Pink – 3 parts Wilton Rose and 2 parts Sugarflair Ruby
– 50g Mid Green (1.7oz) – 3 parts Americolor Leaf Green and 2 parts Americolor Forest Green
– 100g Dark Green (3.5oz) – Americolor Forest Green
• Large spatula
• Turntable (optional)
• 3 3/4” Round cake plate – I cut my own
• 12″ Square cake board
• Large Bread Knife
• Metal/ Plastic scraper
• Small rolling pin
• Cornflour/ Cornstarch
• Small paintbrush
• Exacto knife
• Water or clear alcohol
• Toothpick or scribe tool
• 2 3/4″, 2 1/2″, and 3 3/4″ cookie cutters
• Cake leveller (optional)
• Parchment paper
• Green craft cutting board (optional)
See us make the vanilla cake – https://youtu.be/2rv_9ceWRys
Sweet buttercream recipe – https://youtu.be/D64OhiUe4f4
How to make modelling chocolate – http://youtu.be/A8TMVFdVc28
Stack a two tier cake – http://youtu.be/cP5u-9RPLlo
Hi Vanessa, thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge with all of us! So inspirational!
Before I go ahead and try it I thought I’d ask if you think this rose cake would work alright using fondant with tylose? Making modelling chocolate would be prohibitively expensive here( in The Gambia, West Africa!).
Thanks for your help!
You can, just be sure to prop up the petals as you go, or they can wilt.
Hi Vanessa fantastic rose cake. would gum paste work just as well for this cake?
It will need many hours for each layer to dry is the only thing.
Robbie Baggett says
Awesome looking cake!!
I would love to make this beautiful cake. It is amazing. Thanks for great idea !!!
Isabel Cortez says
You are beautiful and your work is by far amazing
thank you so much
What a beautiful cake. If I make it
with Swiss Meringue buttercream,
can I refrigerate it overnight or
would the rose petals become too soft?
If you use swiss meringue under the modelling chocolate, it will be a little softer, but should be fine unless it’s hot where you are.