- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 1h 40m
- Total Time: 3h
- Yield: 9" round cake
- Category: Cakes
- 375 grams (13oz) butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 125 grams (4.4oz) light sour cream
- 250 grams (8.8oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 500 grams (1lb 1.6oz)icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 165°C / 330°F. Grease and line 9 inch (22cm) round cake tin.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and sour cream. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 1hour 40 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 20 minutes. Remove from the tin and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the icing sugar, one cup at a time, until well combined.
- Gradually add vanilla until combined.
Leave a Reply