- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Total Time: 4h
- Yield: 8" round cake
- Category: Cakes
- 375 grams (13oz) butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs white
- 4 eggs yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 drops LorAnn strawberry oil
- 3 cups all-purpose plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strawberries jam
- pink gel food colouring
- 750 grams (1lb 10oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 kilograms (2lb 10oz) icing sugar
- 3 tbs double cream
- 2 teaspoons milk
- freeze-dried strawberries
- food colours
- Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F. Grease and line three 8" round cake tins.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until they form medium to stiff peaks. Reserve for later.
- In a fresh bowl, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and strawberry oil.
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Add pink food colour and the jam.
- Add 1/3 of the eggs whites and beat slowly until just combined. Then fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 25 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 20 minutes. Remove from the tin and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, whip the butter for 7 minutes using the whisk attachment. Add the icing sugar, one cup at a time, until well combined.
- Add cream and milk and stir to combine.
- Level each cake and layer with buttercream.
- Do a crumb coat and chill the cake as you make up the food colours in the remaining buttercream
- Pipe pretty colours of swirls all over the cake.