- 125 grams (4.4oz) shortening/ vegetable fat
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbs cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 60 grams (2oz) shortening
- 375 grams (13oz) icing/powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons peppermint essence
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 drop Americolor Avocado Green
- 1 drop Americolor Mint Green
- 60 grams (2oz) dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F Grease and line one 7x12 brownie pans
- Place shortening in a microwave safe cup and melt. In a large bowl, mix the cooled shortening and sugar with a whisk. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add the water and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Whisk flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined. Do not over beat.
- Pure into pan, and bake for 25 - 27 mins, or until the top springs back slightly when touched.
- Allow to cool in it's pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- While that is cooling, melt shortening in a microwave and allow to cool.
- Sift icing sugar, add essence and most of the milk. Stir in the shortening, with a spatula.
- Add the food colour to the mixture, and stir. Add any remaining milk, and check to see that the filling is spreadable. Add more milk if necessary.
- Place the brownie back into the pan, and top with peppermint filling. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and drizzle over the top of the brownies, and chill again for 20 minutes.
- Remove the brownie and place on a chopping board. Cut into 20 brownies chunks.