- Prep Time: 20h
- Cook Time: 40h
- Total Time: 2h
- 125 grams (4.4oz) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups caster (confectioners) sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- 1 1/4 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 125 milliliters (1/2 cup) orange juice (2 oranges)
- rind of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 125 grams (4.4oz) icing/ powdering sugar
- Preheat oven 175°C/ 350°F. Butter and flour a small ring tin or loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, almond meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cardamom in a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar with a mixer for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and orange rind.
- In three parts add the flour mixture and the orange juice, starting and ending with the flour.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until it springs back when touched. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, and then cool on a wire rack for at least an hour.
- Cut and press the blackberries through a sieve to extract the juice only.
- Add icing sugar to the juice until you get a medium stiff consistency. You should be able to smear it over the bowl and it will eventually relax back into itself.
- Glaze the cake with the icing. This cake can be left at room temperature for 2-3 days.