- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 1h 40m
- Total Time: 5m
- Yield: 6" round cake
- lemon buttercream
- 375 grams (13oz) butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 125 grams (4.4oz) light sour cream
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- rind of 2 lemons
- 400 grams (14oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 800 grams (1lb 12oz) icing/ powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 package strawberries
- Preheat oven to 165°C / 330°F degrees. Grease and line two 6" inch round cake tins
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add lemon extract. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and sour cream. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Stir in lemon rind.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour 40 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 20 minutes. Remove from the tin and cool completely on a wire rack before icing
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the icing sugar, one cup at a time, until well combined.
- Add lemon extract, and mix until combined.
- Cut cakes into 4 equal layers. Fill with buttercream and add sliced fresh strawberries.