- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 3h
- Yield: 6" round cake
- Category: Cakes
- 1/2 cup (125mL/ 4.2fl. oz) vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup (250mL/ 8.5fl. oz) milk
- 3 teaspoons lemon essence
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- zest one lemon
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 400 grams (14oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 800 grams (1lb 12oz) icing sugar (powdered)
- 2/3 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon essence
- Preheat oven to 165°C/ 325°F
- Grease and line two 6” round cake pan
- Whisk the eggs on medium until frothy, and then high until stiff peaks. Remove from mixer
- Combine flour and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Using a mixer, whisk together oil and sugar on medium to combine.
- Add the flour mix and milk in 3 stages. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add lemon essence and zest.
- Add 1/3 of the eggs and whisk until combined. Add poppyseeds.
- Add the remaining eggs and fold gently.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar, one cup at a time, until well combined.
- Using a strainer and a medium bowl, press the raspberries through the strainer, so that you only end up with the juice. Discard seeds.
- Add the raspberry to 1/3 of the buttercream. This will be the cake filling.
- Add lemon essence to the remaining buttercream.