- Prep Time: 40m
- Cook Time: 14m
- Category: Cookies
- 250 grams (8.8oz) butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 3 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 500 grams (1lb 1oz) butter, softened
- 1 kilogram (2lb 2oz) powdered (icing) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars using an electric mixer, for 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla bean paste.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add this to the mix on lower speed, then increase to medium speed, until fully combined.
- Wrap the mixture in cling wrap, and chill in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
- Roll out the cookie dough using two pieces of parchment (baking) paper. Cut out the shape of a cactus. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, for approximately 14 minutes, or until edges are browning. Let stand for 5 minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cream the butter using an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes using a paddle attachment. This should lighten both the texture and the color of the butter to a pale yellow.
- Sift the sugar, and then add it to the butter one cup at a time. Beat on medium for a minute, before adding the vanilla.
- Add food colours are desired, and then stack that cookie!