Mermaid tails are all the rage!
Everywhere, AKA Typo, is all about mermaids right now, so of course I had to make a cake inspired by these gorgeous mythical creatures.
And as much is I love making pink cakes, I’m a little bit keen on teal, and well, the most famous mermaid Ariel sprung to mind. My oldest Hunter, absolutely loves dark green, so when I said this was a cake just for us this time, both her and my unicorn/ mermaid/ dolphin/ flamingo loving youngest were super excited.
As much as it’s easier to make all the buttercream the same colour, I’m glad I opted for purple in the filling layers. When we cut it, it was just the perfect way to add Ariel’s other signature colour. And purple buttercream always turns out so nice. I used Americolor’s Regal Purple, because it isn’t too pink.
• 4″, 5″, 6″, 7″ and 8″ round cakes – using two batches of our vanilla cupcake recipe
• Sweet Buttercream
– Purple – 300g (10.5oz) Americolor Electric Regal Purple
– Green – 1200g (2lb 10oz) – 2 parts Americolor Leaf Green and 1 part Forest Green
• Modelling chocolate
– 500g Aqua (Americolor Teal and Sky Blue)
• Spatulas – http://amzn.to/22KYzEG
• Turntable – IKEA
• 5″ and 8″ Round cake plates
• 12″ round cake board
• 125 Piping tip – http://amzn.to/1SaLzle
• Piping bag – http://amzn.to/1VqsEJy
• Exacto Knife – http://amzn.to/22BXAFk
• Fat Daddio’s Bread Knife – http://amzn.to/1qXhtew
• Steak knife
• Rolling pin – http://amzn.to/1YARC6x
• Boning tool or toothpick – http://amzn.to/1RVVCJB
• Small paintbrush
• Bamboo Skewers