Is this the cutest Shopkins cake ever?!
I know, I know, another girls cake. Well, this time I’m totally not sorry. I have an obsession with smoothies, fruit ones, protein ones, you name it, I’ve tried it. Pair that with cute Shopkins, and well, I think the result is pretty adorable.
One of the most requests I get is to show exactly how to make coloured buttercream, and how to do a gradient of colours. So with this cake, I started with pink and orange, and then used those two colours to create three more shades. One, the middle colour which is also a filling layer, I did 50/50, whereas the other two shades are 2:1 and 1:2. I used Wilton Creamy Peach and Americolor Orange for the orange, and Americolor Fushia and Electric Pink for the pink. I really love these colours and I use them all the time.
• 5″, 6″ and 7″ round cakes – using one and a half batches of our vanilla cupcake recipe
• Sweet Buttercream
– White – 300g 10.5oz) made with shortening instead of butter
– Pink – 600g (1lb 5oz) – 2 parts Americolor Electric Pink and 1 part Fushia
– Orange – 800g (1lb 12oz) – Equal parts Wilton Creamy Peach and Americolor Orange
Then take 150g (5oz) of both pink and orange to make the middle color (which is the middle filling layer as well)
And 80g of pink and 40g or orange to make the second shade, and 40g of pink and 80g or orange to make the fourth shade.
• Modelling chocolate
– 10g Black (Americolor Super Black) – http://amzn.to/1qXh6AS
– 10g White (Americolor Whitener)
– 40g Orange (Equal parts Wilton Creamy Peach and Americolor Orange)
– 40g Pink (Americolor Electric Pink)
– 50g Yellow (Americolor Lemon Yellow)
– 5g Red (Americolor Super Red)
• Spatulas – http://amzn.to/22KYzEG
• Scraper – http://amzn.to/1Tc5oc
• Turntable – IKEA
• 5″ and 7″ Round cake board
• 1M Piping tip – http://amzn.to/20N0oQB
• Piping bag – http://amzn.to/1VqsEJy
• Exacto Knife – http://amzn.to/22BXAFk
• Fat Daddio’s Bread Knife – http://amzn.to/1qXhtew
• Small paintbrush
• Small rolling pin – http://amzn.to/1Slg8Ku