I found a great infogram on Visually. It wasn’t about cakes, but I think it applies to every creative field. It’s all about getting a fresh perspective and looking at your creativity in a positive way.
In addition to these fabulous tips, when it comes to getting ideas for party cakes or wedding cakes, here’s my top 5 things~
1. Start with a colour palette, rather than a plan for the details. Once you know what colors you want, you can more easily figure out how they best work on a cake.
2. Try not to look up that theme or colour scheme in cakes until you have a good design started that you just need to build on. Otherwise you end up just making a copy of something someone else has already done. Let your creativity kick-start before being overrun by what everyone else has created.
3. Close your eyes, and imagine the feeling you want to achieve when you look at the finished product. What do you want people to say? “Wow, that’s cool!” or “Gosh it’s so cute!” Try to work out the style or mood the cake gives. You want to make sure, that if the cake is a fun theme, the cake really is fun to look at!
4. Look at fabric stores, wallpaper, and wrapping paper. Sometimes these great tileable designs can work fabulously on a cake. Tileable means repeating, and that can work great on a cake, especially if you are looking to create something with structure.
5. Follow magazines, pinterest boards, instagram members that have a focus on design and homewares. They are so fashion forward in terms of patterns and color palettes. Rugs, curtain, artwork, chandeliers and kids bedding all have brilliant cake ideas hidden in their details. Look at a variety of inspirations.
Happy Baking and Decorating!