If you are looking for a buttery, velvety finish, Swiss Meringue buttercream is the frosting for you. I love this recipe, and it’s not as hard to make as you think.
Created by admin on March 13, 2016
- Prep Time: 5m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 35m
- Category: Cake Basics
- 4 large egg whites at room temp
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 450 grams (1lb) butter, cut into small cubes, at room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour egg whites and sugar into a bowl, preferably your mixer bowl. Place over saucepan of hot water, with the water not high enough to touch your bowl, and heat on low.
- Whisk until the mixture has no sugar granules left. Test this by rubbing a small amount of mixture between your fingers.
- Remove from heat, and beat on med/ high (setting 8) for 10 minutes, or until cool. The mixture should look like marshmallow.
- Whilst the mixer is at medium, add the softened butter, one piece at a time. Count to 10-12 before adding another piece, and that way you know it's fully incorporated.
- Then pour in your vanilla extract and mix one last time to combine.